Budget-friendly ways to take care of your lawn
You don’t need to be cashed up to have high quality turf.
Is there anything quite as satisfying as returning home to your lush, well-tended lawn that acts as a natural retreat from the chaos of everyday life? Your turf not only provides you with somewhere to take barefoot strolls, play with your dog or have picnics with your family, but it can also be a source of joy and pride.
However, there is a misconception that adequate lawn care requires a hefty budget which can tend to prevent people from lawn installation or maintaining their turf. Thankfully, this is not always the case and there are cost-effective strategies that can be used to transform your space into a thriving oasis.
The experts from the turf farm Perth gardeners can trust, Joondalup Turf Farm, have come up with some helpful advice that will help you improve your grass without breaking the bank!
Your wallet will thank you for these lawn tips!
1) Assess your turf for repair
The first budget-friendly way to improve your lawn is to examine what kinds of grass repair steps are necessary and identify the best approaches to begin fixing these issues.
- Does your lawn look green or brown and patchy?
If your turf is that rich green colour this is usually a good indicator that is receiving the right amount of nutrients. Whereas brown or patchy lawns may require some additional help.
- What does your soil feel like?
Your soil might not be absorbing nutrients and water correctly if it is extremely hard or soggy. One potential cause may be the tendency to overwater.
- When was the last time you did a pH test?
If you don’t do pH tests on your soil it is pretty much impossible to know what’s going on underneath the surface. It is recommended that you perform a pH test prior to fertilisation as certain types can affect the balance of chemicals in the soil.
- Do you have a lawn care schedule?
We suggest creating a lawn care schedule at the beginning of the year so you have a good idea about the type of care your lawn needs throughout the seasons. With this being said, your schedule may need tweaking depending on how your grass responds to different treatments.
2) How to water on a budget
- Avoid the ‘set and forget’ approach to irrigation and instead be aware of the weather.
- Choose a lawn that requires less watering and can withstand drought.
- Use water-saving technologies such as smart irrigation controllers.
- Audit your irrigation system by checking the system components including sprinklers, valves and controllers.
- Adjust irrigation programs to conserve water, e.g. set irrigation programs to water during the morning hours.
- Improve your soil and lawn quality through good maintenance.
- Design your landscaping with water conservation in mind.
3) Secrets to a summer-ready lawn
With summer on the horizon in Australia, known to be one of the most challenging seasons for grass, here are some of the money-saving tips we recommend to keep your lawn looking lush.
- For grass types that thrive in drought conditions, natural rainfall may make do for summer lawn irrigation. However, to ensure the long-term health of your lawn, consider increasing the frequency of watering. This will not only enhance the density and appearance of your grass but also make your lawn more suitable for outdoor activities and sports.
- Water your lawn according to its specific requirements, ideally in the early morning hours. During the summer season, a good practice is to water for extended periods but with less frequency.
- Consider installing an irrigation system or an alternative water source like a borehole, greywater recycling system, or a water tank to ensure compliance with local water restrictions, should they be implemented in your area.
- Clearing away thatch and dead debris from your lawn is essential for enabling your grass to maximize its water absorption capacity, which, in turn, promotes thriving growth during the summer months.
- Enhancing soil moisture levels in summer is achievable through soil aeration. This practice facilitates rainwater penetration to the root system, helping your lawn retain moisture throughout the extended, hot summer period.
Perth’s premium roll-on turf supplier
Joondalup Turf Farm is known throughout Western Australia for supplying the best lawn and a range of quality turf varieties at a good price for residential and commercial use.
You can receive your own top-quality lawn by simply calling our office from Monday to Friday and it will be ready to be picked up within an hour. The ability to pre-order for weekend pick-up is also available.
Additionally, we provide a lawn delivery service that enables the convenient drop of new lawn to your door if you are located in the metropolitan area.
Awesome service is so important to us that we also provide expert advice and assist you with the maintenance of your lawn with a complimentary after-care plan.
Reach out to the premium turf suppliers today by calling (08) 9404 7821.November 07, 2023